21 things to see and do
21 things to see and do
21 things to see and do in Moidart, Ardnamurchan and surrounding area
- Walk down to Loch Moidart alongside the river Shiel and view the 13th century Castle Tioram, Seat of the Clan Ranald.
- Join the M.V. Sileas for a memorable boat trip on Loch Shiel, and the chance to see some eagles.
- Climb the Moidart hills – Roshven or An Stac or the two Munros in Glenfinnan if you want a bigger challenge. Maps available in the apartments.
- Plan a family - friendly slow adventure tailored to your level of experience and aspirations, whether on the water by cancoe or kayak, or in the mountians on foot or bike. With a local guide from Otter Adventures, based in Strontian
- Fish for salmon or trout on Loch Shiel or try some fly fishing on a hill loch.
- Take the Jacobite steam train for a relaxing return trip on the west highland line between Fort William and Mallaig
- Join the Silver walk round Loch Moidart to view the old settlement of Port a Bhata.
- Take the boat from Arisaig to Rhum and tour the Victorian splendour of Kinloch Castle.
- Go to a Highland games, show dance, traditional music festival or village dance and enjoy the craic with the locals. Events listed in De tha Dol.
- Visit the Glenfinnan monument and visitors centre to the Jacobite Rising of 1745.
- Visit the Ariundle Centre in Strontian and take part in one of their craft workshops.
- Have a day off and pick up some venison from John or Fergie next door or smoked salmon from Ardshealach Fine Foods in Glenuig. Arrange a massage in the luxury of your apartment.
- Drive up to Loch nam Uamh and see where Bonnie Prince Charles landed. Travel on to Camusdarroch beach, where you can walk on the Local Hero beach, sunbathe or enjoy your prepared packed lunch.
- Go stalking in season – this can be arranged for you.
- Visit Tobermory (of Balamory fame) on the Isle of Mull.
- Visit the Sunart Oakwoods, one of the few remaining areas in Scotland that retain their ancient coastal oakwoods.
- Visit a local pub for a wee dram at the end of an exhausting days sight-seeing or walking. Lochshiel, Salen, Glenuig or go see how Whisky is made at Ardnamurchan Distillery
- Treat yourself to dinner at Ardshealach Lodge on the other side of the Shiel, Jill always gives you a warm welcome and cooks great food every night using local produce.
- Visit the historic Monastery on Iona via the Lochaline and Fionnphort ferries.
- Visit An Gearasdan (Fort William). Take a tour of the Ben Nevis distillery, cycle down the world cup mountain biking course on Nevis Range or have lunch in the Gondola station.
- Take a wildlife boat trip on Loch Sunart on the Laurenca II or hire one of their self-drive boats and explore the beautiful Islands of Loch Sunart